The Data Science Institute (DSI) aims to foster and grow a cohort of highly-engaged affiliates that reflects a diversity of interests and research activities within the scope of our mission and vision.
UW-Madison faculty and academic staff are eligible to become affiliated members of the DSI. Affiliates should be actively engaged in foundational or use-inspired research relevant to data science and aligned with the DSI mission and vision. DSI emphasizes cross-disciplinary collaboration and approaches, and we welcome affiliates from departments and centers across campus. (We are developing an affiliates program for postdocs and students that will be announced at a future date.)
Affiliate appointments are renewable, three-year terms.
What are the benefits?
DSI Affiliates are eligible for the following unique benefits:
- Public recognition through a DSI Affiliates listing on the data science @ uw website
- Flexible funds for data science research or travel (details will depend on the DSI annual budget)
- Staff support for coordinating and marketing events (lectures, workshops, etc.) branded or co-branded with DSI
- Priority access to DSI computational resources (e.g., storage, GPUs)
- Priority access to DSI meeting facilities and hotel office space
- Promotion of your relevant work through the DSI website, social media, and publications.
What are the expectations?
During a three-year term, DSI Affiliates are expected to contribute to DSI research and operations by fulfilling at least two of the criteria listed below:
- Serve as a reviewer for DSI internal funding competitions (e.g., the American Family Funding Initiative) or mentor an applicant for these competitions
- Present (or have a student or postdoc present) at a DSI-sponsored event (e.g., the Research Bazaar, SILO Seminar (IFDS), or ML+X Forum)
- Develop grant proposals that include DSI staff as co-PIs or senior personnel
- Co-author a DSI-relevant publication with the DSI director, research staff, or other DSI affiliates
- Collaborate with DSI to serve historically minoritized communities and foster fairness, equity, and inclusion in data science
- Mentor a DSI-affiliated postdoc
- Serve on a DSI committee or working group (a list of opportunities is forthcoming)
How do I apply?
The 2022 application window has closed. Please check back in fall 2023 for next year’s application window.
To apply, please complete the DSI Affiliates Application. As part of this application, you will need to submit your CV and a 1-page statement attesting to:
- The reasons for your interest in being a DSI Affiliate
- The relevance of your research to foundational and/or use-inspired data science, including your research plans for the next three years and how DSI might fit into them
- If applicable, your connections to DSI, including your past or current engagement in any of the above activities
Applications are reviewed by DSI leadership. Applicants will be notified as to the status of their applications by early February. We anticipate an annual application process.
The number of affiliates is limited, and we may not be able to accept all applicants. We seek a cohort of highly-engaged affiliates who bring a diversity of interests and research activities.
Questions? Contact DSI at email@example.com.